Strategic Governing Body
Gonville Academy is very lucky to have a dedicated Governing Body, and governors visit the school on a regular basis to monitor the impact of the academy’s work and suggest improvements. The Local Governing Body meets regularly to discuss the strategic development of the academy, and has representatives from the academy’s parent body, staff, local community and local authority.
The name STEP, an acronym, reflects the aspirational nature of the organisation – Striving Together for Excellence in Partnership. Inspired by the commitment to improve children’s life chances, STEP Academies work together to provide high quality learning experiences for all their pupils.
“STEP First” is the notion that, first and foremost, everyone is committed to being part of The STEP Academy Trust. All governors must be fully aligned to the Trust’s Mission and Vision. Although serving one or more particular Academies, governors are members of the wider STEP team. We are all one team, in one organisation, working towards the same goal: to be outstanding in all we do – STEP First!
STEP Governance Structure
Recent changes introduced by the Department for Education (DfE) allow academy trusts to establish a local governing body that is responsible for two or more academies.
COMPOSITION OF THE STRATEGIC GOVERNING BODIES (SGB)
The new Strategic Governing Bodies will have a maximum of 12 Governors as follows:
- Parent x2 (elected, ideally one from each Academy)
- Staff x2 (Headteachers)
- Staff x2 (elected, ideally one from each Academy)
- Board of Trustees Representative x1
- STEP Governors x5
- Temporary Co-Opted Governors (according to need)
It is the belief of the Board of Trustees that this new governance structure, underpinned by sound principles, will make best use of our strengths, will address our challenges and will provide the framework for each of our Academies to become Outstanding at the next opportunity.
OUR GOVERNING BODY
- Strategic Governing Body Membership for Gonville and David Livingstone Academies
- Register of Business Interests for Governors of the STEP Academy Trust, Strategic Governing Body of David Livingstone & Gonville Academies School Year 2016-2017
- GV SGB Minutes 15 June 2017
- Minutes of a Meeting of the Strategic Governing Body of David Livingstone & Gonville Academies Held on Thursday 29th September 2016, 6.30 pm at David Livingstone Academy
- Minutes of a Meeting of the Strategic Governing Body of David Livingstone Academy & Gonville Academy Minutes of the Resources Committee Meeting Held on Monday 7th November 2016 at 6:00pm at Gonville Academy
- DL GV SGB Minutes 2nd March 2016 final
- Annual SGB Attendance Record 2016-17-DL & Gonville
- DLG SGB – Website summary list February 2017
- The Strategic Governing Body of Gonville and David Livingstone Academies 2016/2017
- GVA SGB – Website Summary list Sept 2017
The role of the Governing Body – SEND
- The Governing Body has responsibility to pupils with special educational needs and / or a disability (SEND).
- The Governing Body’s responsibilities to pupils with SEND include:
- Ensuring that provision of a high standard is made for pupils with SEND;
- Ensuring that a ‘responsible person’ is identified to inform about the Statement of all those involved with teaching and supporting statemented pupils;
- Ensuring that pupils with SEND are fully involved in Academy’s activities;
- Having regard to the SEN Code of Practice when carrying out these responsibilities;
- Being fully involved in developing, monitoring and subsequently reviewing SEND policy;
- Reporting annually to parents on the Academy’s SEND Policy including the allocation of resources from the Academy’s devolved/delegated budget;
- Ensure the SENDCO is a qualified teacher and have gained or are undertaking the NASENCO qualification.