Gonville Academy

Gonville Academy
Gonville Road

0208 684 4006





All Croydon schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.



Who are the best people to talk to about my child’s difficulties with learning / SEND needs?

Class Teacher

Responsible For:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Inclusion Manager know as necessary.
  • Writing Additional Support Plans (Passports), and reviewing these with parents at least once each term before jointly planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that staff working with your child are supported in delivering the planned work/programme, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and individually planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the Academy’s Inclusion Policy is followed for all the pupils they teach with any special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).

Emma Bullworthy, DHT for Inclusion and SENCO

Responsible For:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with SEND and developing the Academy’s Inclusion Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with professionals who come into school to help support your child e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc…
  • Updating the school’s SEND support register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are clear records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Sam Daly, Headteacher

Responsible For:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • They will give responsibility to the Inclusion Manager and class teachers but are still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • They must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

Governor responsible for SEND

Responsible For:

  • Ensuring that staff members are following the Academy’s policy and the SEND Code of Practice.

What are the different types of support given?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (also known as Quality First Teaching).
For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the Inclusion Manager or outside professionals) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Stage of SEND Code of Practice: SEN Support

For some children this will mean they have been identified by the class teacher and/or Inclusion Manager as needing some extra support in school.

For example this could mean:

  • He/ She may engage in group sessions (often called Intervention Groups) with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress, a Teaching Assistant/Teacher may run these small group sessions.
  • Additional targeted support may also occur within the classroom or during break/lunchtime.

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

For some children they may, despite receiving the above intervention, also require:

  •  Outside professional involvement such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or Education Psychology (EP).

For your child this could mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/Inclusion Manager (or you will have expressed concerns) as needing more specialist input in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to an outside professional. This will help both home and the school understand your child’s needs and be able to support them further.
  • The outside professionals will work with your  child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Suggesting changes to the way your child is supported in class
    • Suggest targets which will include their professional expertise
    • A group run by school staff, under the guidance of the outside professional
    • Some group or individual work with outside professional
    • The school may suggest that your child needs some specific individual support. They will inform you what support your child is receiving and the progress that happens.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

SEN Support with an EHC Plan

This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/Inclusion Manager as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (usually more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Outside professional involvement such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or Education Psychology (EP).

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support already provided.
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and long term. If this is the case they will write an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support in place, or make additional suggestions.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA, how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Inclusion Manager
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the Headteacher or the Governor responsible for SEND.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is then identified as not making progress the class teacher will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have
  • suggest any additional support your child may require
  • make suggestions as to how you could further support your child at home
  • refer you to the Inclusion Manager if necessary

Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEN in this school?

Directly funded by the school:

  • Learning Mentor
  • Trained Teaching Assistants in various interventions

Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).

Provided and paid for by the Health Service but delivered in school:

  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?

  • The Inclusion Manager’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.
  • The school has regular training for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of all children, often specifically focussed on SEND.
  • Individual teachers and support staff can attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, to ensure that every child’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies could be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching could be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a measure related to expected standards is given in reading, writing and maths.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The Inclusion Manager will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEND?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Provision Maps will be reviewed each term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

How is Gonville accessible to children with SEND?

  • Gonville is a single floor building with access through each main entrance.  In buildings not connected to the main building there is ramp access.
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.
  • There are several disabled accessible toilets around the site.

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving to another school:
    • We may contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • When moving classes in school:
    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All Provision Maps will be shared with the new teacher.
    • Other strategies may be used to ensure your child is comfortable and ready for the transition.
  • In Year 6:
    • The SENCO and Class Teacher will attend the relevant Primary Transition meetings to discuss the specific needs of your child with their secondary school.
    • Your child will undertake a transition programme.
    • Where possible your child will visit their new school and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
Gonville Academy